Wednesday, August 26, 2009

My Ryu: Gameplan and improvements

There are some things in which I've personally been trying to practice on with my Ryu.  After Evo I learned a whole lot regarding how to improve, and with that, I made a general gameplan towards my strengths as a player.  My strength mainly resides in my opponents mistakes...or to put it simply, I punish hard for mistakes.  I realized that if I can play a playstyle of punishing, I'll be able to play towards my strength and have a set goal of what I want in my match.  With this play style in mind, I also came to understand that to punish, I would also need to become good at baiting my opponent into mistakes (instead of just hoping that they come to me).  All in all, this post is just a quick "status update" as to what my personal game plan is with Ryu, as well as some other aspects I'm trying to work on with my Ryu.

Game Plan:  During the first match, try to learn as much about your opponent as you can in order to understand how you can learn his play style.  In this first match, play VERY disciplined to learn opponent's habits, patterns, and strengths and weaknesses.  After being able to understand the opponent's play style, learn how to counter it, and possibly set up for baiting later in the set.

Ryu improvements:
 -  Start using: c.mk hadou, sadc, c.mk hurricane/c.hk during footsies to maximize damage and grab momentum from footsie range

 -  Use more empty jump, crouch short combo's after un'techable knockdown's.  

 -  Make it a goal to try to hit f+hp every match.  Figure out how to succesfully hit this attack to execute hard hitting combo's

 - Start using "FA, absorb hit, dash in" more often against pokes or attacks with larger recovery in order to possibly get a free combo.  For example:  Rufus c.hp, Akuma c.hk, Bison s.hk, etc.

 - Start jumping over fireballs on REACTION instead of guessing.  

 - Start using "walk forward, hp shoryuken" as an anti air when not in distance to normally hit the SRK.  Air was doing this to me like crazy...it basically took away jumps in which I thought normally to be safe.  

No comments: